Frozen pipes can be a serious issue for a home or business. When water inside pipes freezes, the ice expands in size, taking up more room than the water did. If the ice expands enough, then it can cause enough pressure to force the pipe to burst open. A pipe burst then allows water to pour into your property, potentially causing severe water damage. In such a case, it is imperative that you take immediate action to contain the damage.
ServiceMaster Restoration of Tri-Cities can help homes and businesses that suffered damage as a result of a burst pipe through our professional frozen pipe water damage restoration services in Hastings, NE. Our professional technicians will work to eliminate the excess water and restore the damage the burst pipe caused.
How to Prevent Pipes from Freezing
The cold temperatures of winter can be so severe that the pipes in your property are vulnerable to freezing. With the following precautionary measures, you can prepare your pipes for cold weather and prevent them from becoming frozen:
- Run a slow drip from all faucets in the property to ensure consistent water flow in the pipes.
- Let warm air circulate pipes beneath sinks by opening the cabinet doors up.
- Keep pipes in vulnerable areas insulated by adding electrical tape or pipe insulation to them.
- Keep uninsulated pipes warm by safely setting up a space heater.
- Bring your garden hose inside and turn off the outdoor water supply.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Sometimes, even with precautionary work, pipes will still freeze. Low water pressure and frosty pipes are just two signs you are dealing with frozen pipes. In the event you have a frozen pipe in your home or business, you can follow these steps to thaw it and prevent it from bursting open:
- Find the line that contains the frozen pipe.
- Locate the frozen area.
- Inspect the affected pipe for damage, such as cracking or bulging, and seek professional help if necessary.
- Thaw the pipe with a hair dryer or heat lamp and never a source with an open flame.
- If necessary, make the pipe more accessible by removing drywall.
- Turn on the faucet to allow a slow flow of water.
Burst Pipe Water Damage Restoration in Hastings, NE
With the severely cold conditions of winter, frozen pipes bursting open always remains a possibility. So if a pipe in your home or business does freeze and burst open, shut off the main water line and seek help from a professional flood cleanup service promptly. The pipe burst allows water to spill into your property, causing serious damage quickly.
With our professional water damage restoration services, your property will be restored to a clean, safe environment. We will use professional grade equipment to eliminate standing water and excess moisture from the affected porous materials in your property.
We will then remove unsalvageable items, restore the damage, and provide mold remediation services if necessary.
ServiceMaster Restoration of Tri-Cities can be contacted 24/7 for frozen pipe water damage restoration services in Hastings, NE, by calling (308) 390-7150.