If the pipes within your home or business freeze, this can become a serious problem. As the water freezes within the pipes, the ice expands in size and can cause the pipe to burst open with enough pressure. Water will pour into your property if the pipe bursts, resulting in serious water damage. It’s crucial to react to burst pipes immediately to limit the damage.
ServiceMaster of Lancaster County can help clean up homes and businesses affected by a burst pipe through our frozen pipe water damage restoration services in Lincoln, NE. Our professional technicians will remove excess water and moisture and restore the damage.
How to Prevent Pipes from Freezing
Winter can present cold temperatures that make your pipes vulnerable to becoming frozen. You can prepare your pipes for such temperatures and prevent frozen pipes by taking the following precautions:
- Let a slow drip run from faucets to maintain water flow in the pipes.
- Open up cabinet doors beneath sinks to allow warm air to circulate the pipes.
- Add pipe insulation or electrical tape to pipes located in vulnerable areas to keep them insulated.
- In areas with uninsulated pipes, safely set up a space heater to make sure they stay warm.
- Shut the outdoor water supply off and bring in your garden hose.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Even if you take precautionary measures, your pipes may still become frozen. A few signs of frozen pipes include frosty pipes and low water pressure. If you encounter a frozen pipe, use the following steps to thaw it before it bursts:
- Locate the line with the frozen pipe.
- Find the frozen spot.
- Examine the pipe for damage and contact a professional for assistance if needed. (Is the pipe covered in frost and ice, or is it bulging or cracked?)
- Use a heat lamp or hairdryer (never an open flame) to thaw the pipe.
- Remove drywall, if needed, for easier access to the pipe.
- Turn the faucet on to allow a slow water flow.
Burst Pipe Water Damage Restoration in Lincoln, NE
Winter conditions mean it is always possible for pipes to become frozen and burst open. If a pipe does burst in your home or business, turn the main water line off and contact water damage restoration professionals for immediate help. Water will pour into your property and cause severe damage in a short amount of time which makes quick action important.
With help from our water damage restoration professionals, your property will be restored to its former state. Our technicians remove standing water and extract excess moisture from porous materials using professional grade equipment.
Afterwards, we remove permanently damaged materials, restore the affected areas, and conduct mold removal if needed.
Call (402) 434-2197 to get in touch with ServiceMaster of Lancaster County for frozen pipe water damage restoration services. We can help homes and businesses in Lincoln, NE 24/7.
Related Flood Cleanup Services: