Hoarding is an often misunderstood problem that affects millions of Americans. It is classified as a mental disorder because those affected are dealing with anxiety or depression which is what makes it difficult for them to throw anything away. Because of this, they will collect more items in their home which creates hazardous and unsanitary living conditions. If you know someone who hoards, you cannot simply begin removing the clutter from their home. They must understand the danger of their situation and agree to accept help cleaning their home.
At ServiceMaster of Sarpy County, we provide hoarding cleaning services to help those affected in Omaha, NE and the surrounding areas. Our technicians have an understanding of hoarding disorders and work with the affected individual in a respectful manner to help clean the home. We will assist in the removal of unwanted items and we will clean and disinfect what is left to restore safe living conditions.
Problems Created by Hoarding
The source of hoarding behaviors tends to be a feeling of anxiety or depression that makes it difficult for those affected to part with anything. As they let more items accumulate in their homes, rooms become filled and doorways and hallways become clogged, creating a dangerous situation. There is a higher risk of injury as people in the home may trip over things or get hurt by falling items, and the blocking of hallways and exits can make it difficult to escape in an emergency. Fires are much more dangerous because the hoarded items will fuel the fire. Hoarding also leads to unsanitary conditions as mold, bacteria, and pests may appear in the clutter.
The best thing to do to help someone who hoards is to reach out to them and talk to them about their situation. It is important that the affected individual recognizes the danger the clutter has created in their home and makes the decision themselves to proceed with the cleaning. Only with their permission should you call our professionals to help with the cleaning.
Hoarding Cleanup in Omaha, NE
Our technicians will start by meeting with the affected individual and assessing the condition of the home. It is important for us to develop a level of trust with the affected individual and treat them with compassion and respect. We will also put them in charge of the cleaning process so nothing is removed from the home without their approval.
The following steps are included in our hoarding cleaning services:
- Working with the affected individual: Our technicians understand the nature of hoarding and work with the affected individual throughout the entire project. We will first gain their trust and respect and put them in charge of the cleaning process.
- Removal of hoarded items: We will help the individual sort through their items and decide what can be kept, disposed of, recycled, or donated.
- Decontamination: After the unwanted items are removed, we will clean and decontaminate the home to restore safe and sanitary living conditions.
- Deodorization: We can also treat the home with advanced deodorization methods if there is a lingering odor.
- Work with insurance: If there is an insurance claim involved, we can work with the insurance company.
- Follow-up: We will follow up with the affected individual to ensure they are keeping their home clean and we can return to provide further cleaning services if necessary.
If you have a friend or loved one affected by hoarding, it is important to remember that hoarding is a mental disorder and you need to approach them with a sense of compassion and respect. Only after they agree to receive help should you call our professionals at ServiceMaster of Sarpy County for our hoarding cleaning services.
You can reach us at (402) 293-1625 for our hoarding cleaning services in the Omaha, NE area.